Image by Ben White

Instituto Solidare

Instituto Solidare has a strong track record of working with poor and marginalised communities in Recife and other parts of Pernambuco, North East of Brazil.

It's an organisation with a vision to contribute to the formation of citizens who are aware of their potential to become agents of social transformation in their own context.  Their values are based on ethics, solidarity, human rights, and democracy through citizenship. 

 

We believe the quality of life and livelihood’s of the vulnerable young can be improved through employment and income generation, skills training and the circular economy, working with young people aged 16 and over, from Recife, Jabotao das Guararapas and Panelas, enabling them to find employment.

A training programme hosted at Instituto Solidare provides a vehicle to lift the vulnerable young out of poverty. Although 40% of the training is focused on acquiring technical skills for industrial practices the other 60% concentrates on the psychosocial development of these young people.  Here the emphasis is on building self-esteem and resilience, improving interpersonal skills, and learning practical skills around budgeting and finance.

Skills Training and Mentor Programme Coordinator Paulo Rodrigues says “All too often young people living in poverty are considered disempowered, passive or helpless.  My experience is that they are in fact full of grit and determination, to be admired and respected.  Through the project, we want to harness these qualities and keep directing them.  We select forty young people aged between 16 and 17 from the vulnerable communities where we work ” 

When the skills training is completed, the project enables those looking for work to continue receiving support through a mentoring scheme.  This is a vital part of the project as it helps to build relationships with young people.

The Impact

Instituto Solidare was founded in 2006 and is a charity based in Recife, the capital city of Pernambuco, North East Brazil. The organisation aims to help children and young people in their social, political, and pedagogical development and runs many programmes to achieve this goal. Happy Child is currently supporting Instituto Solidare’s Mentoring and Skills Training Programme called Project Pescar.

Project Pescar is a training programme aimed at socially vulnerable young adults aged between 16 and 19 years old who are finishing state school. The training aims to aid in their professional and personal growth through a programme with a 60% focus on personal development and citizenship and a 40% focus on technical knowledge. All students of the programme participate in the selection process for paid apprenticeships at Gerdau, an iron and steel company. 

67 The High Street, Leatherhead, KT22 8AH   UK   - Tel: ++44(0) 7483 455656

UK Registered Charity No:1116809

© 2019 by HCI. Proudly created by impactfulbrands.co.uk |  Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White YouTube Icon
  • White Instagram Icon